- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes
- 2 medium, ripe bananas
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut off the woody portions and ends
- Cut into quarters and cook, covered, in enough boiling, salted water to cover for 15-20 minutes (or until tender)
- Drain and allow to cool slightly
- Place drained sweet potatoes in a food processor, cover and process until smooth. Add the bananas and process until smooth
- In a large saucepan stir together the sweet potato-banana mixture, brown sugar, honey, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt, ginger and nutmeg
- Bring to boiling, then reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over very low heat for about 30 minutes (or until very thick) stirring frequently
- Place the saucepan in a sink filled with ice water to cool the mixture. Spoon mixture into storage containers. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- This recipe will make 4 half pints of butter
- I triple this recipe each year. This years batch gave me 12 1/2 pints and 2 full pints. Bonus!
- If you don't have a food processor (mine died, not sure why), you can do small batches in your blender after it's all cooked up. It takes forever, but will still get the job done.
- This recipe, along with the Cranberry Chutney, make great, simple gifts and seem to make people very happy :-) I like to give them out before Thanksgiving so they can enjoy them with their meals over the ling weekend. I also give a pair to each dinner guest/couple on Thanksgiving Day.